Wednesday, May 21, 2008

this is our youth...culture...in berlin

Um...LOVE our group. I felt like the class last week was one of the best and most productive to date. At first, I was concerned with the size of our group in terms of working out schedules and personalities and conflicts, but these fears were dispelled after the first few minutes of our conversation. The rule now seems to be the more the merrier and a merry, merry bunch we are. Everyone is interested in looking at topics that involve a lot of direct "field work" and I am soooo looking forward to romping around as a group through the streets, in dance clubs, music venues, and gay cabarets.
Our composition exercise went really well. Everyone contributed equally and we combined all of our ideas to create something slightly strange and beautiful...just like us! In Berlin, the creation of our composition as a day in the life of a drug addicted closeted dancing musician who promotes himself as an actor on YouTube...but really wants to develop his own fashion line. Writing that sentence makes it seem really complicated, but I have faith that we will make it work.
In terms of my own personal research, I have found some great lists of meetings to go to and I am hoping that there will be young people there who will be willing to talk to me and let me talk to them about their experiences with drug addiction. The only issue that concerns me about my field research at this point is that when I have gone to English-speaking meetings abroad before, they have generally been dominated by tourists instead of locals.
I shared my sobriety with the group and they were extremely supportive...I can't even begin to describe how relieving this was for me. It is hard to be young and sober, especially traveling with young people who aren't, but the response was amazing and I am really happy that I shared this aspect of my life.
Looking forward to the performance today...

No comments: